My friend Christina called one morning last week and asked if Rebekah and I would like to join her and her daughter Sophia for an impromptu trip to the splash park at the zoo. So, with a little hesitation, we went. I was hesitant because our experiences with water parks last summer weren't the best and it took all summer for Rebekah to decide that she was okay with playing in the fountains. It would have been worth it all though just to see her all decked out in her swim gear. I know I'm biased, but isn't she adorable?
When we got to the park Sophia took off right away.
Rebekah was a little more cautious about the falling water though.
Then she met this little girl and turned into a water park daredevil! I think she just needed to see other children playing in the water and having fun to realize that it was okay.
But, 5 minutes into playing it was announced that the park had to be shut down for 30 minutes because of an "incident", so we decided that it would be a good time for lunch.
While we were waiting I overheard a little boy say to his mom that he thought the park was shut down because he punched another boy who was playing near him. Instead of the mom asking him about it and trying to get down to the bottom of the situation she said the following, "Was it an accident? I'm sure it was and this isn't your fault." ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!? When a child volunteers that he "punched" another child I doubt it was an accident! At this very moment my mom radar honed in to that kid and I was on high alert!
A few minutes later a zoo worker walked by to let everyone know that the park was shutdown because a child had pooped on the top of the ship play area and they had to clean the water before it could be used again. It's a strange thing to feel relief by the fact that another child pooped in an area that my daughter was playing in, but in my opinion it beats playing near a bully!
I LOVE this picture! She looks so pensive.
30 minutes later the water was clean and flowing again and the girls took off! This time Rebekah was the one who took off running and Sophia decided that she didn't like the shooting water. I love how Rebekah took Sophia by the hand and tried to coax her in into the fountain. Kids are funny!
At first Rebekah thought that the water would rise and fall by moving her hands up and down! She eventually caught on that the water moved by stomping on a button in the ground.
Doesn't this look like a nightmare for a parent like me who is still a little bit of a control freak when it comes to protecting my daughter?
I was in shock because the girl had a BLAST!
*****************************
Another highlight of the week was Skpying with Sam's sister, Carol, and her family in Costa Rica! We're so ready for them to be back in the US for a while and can't wait to meet our new niece, Anna Beth!
Can anyone guess what Rebekah's doing in this picture? Yep, she's taking a picture of Sam who's taking a picture of her. I love it!
I'll leave you this week with a picture of the newest version of Rebekah's forced smile. Nice, huh?






















you know the splash park is a nightmare to keep up with your kids on...but it is small and very manageable. Try going to the one down town:( NOT cool! I'll call you when we go to the splash park, my kids love it there. (and kids poop there every day!!!)
ReplyDeleteWe had such a great time. Next time we are going, I will let you know. Thanks for posting the pictures of Sophia. The look on your face when that little boy was talking to his mom was priceless!
ReplyDelete